Thursday, February 28, 2013

1st Weekly Challenge :D

After arriving home from the office Sara and I were trying to figure out what to do for dinner and neither of us wanted to go out to get any groceries so I came up with a new weekly challenge for me!
Here is how it goes...you make dinner...with what ever you have in the house! Unoriginal? Yes I know. Cheesy? Just a bit but oh boy was it fun!
I am proud to say that this brand new challenge for tonight earned me a 4.5 star and Sara's only complaint was that the potatoes could have been a bit softer. In my defense...I knew they would be but I was so hungry!
Anywho, as usual, I shall explain. My ingredients were beef broth, tenderloin (pork, of course :D), carrots, potatoes, soy sauce, oyster sauce, corn starch, garlic annnnd flour. All very common things in my house!
When I started, I looked in the cabinet and I saw mixed veggies and thought...I could do something with that...then I realized, nah! I decided to not go with a CAN of veggies when I saw I had a fresh carrot and potatoes! That is like sacrilegious to use a can of vegetables when you have fresh ones! (juuuust playing) After I decided I was going to use the fresh vegetables instead I saw frozen chicken and frozen tenderloin. I could have used either of them...The deciding factor? The tenderloin was not as solidly frozen! Ha!

Here is how it goes together. Cut up all the veggies and meat and set all of it aside and make the sauce first. In a small bowl add beef broth, soy sauce, and oyster sauce then mix it up. Set that aside and in a bigger bowl, add some beef broth, the meat, corn starch and flour and mix it up. A lot like you do for the sweet and sour pork. This batter is a lot thicker though. Once that is mixed up, fry it in oil.
Once it is all fried, set it aside and add a small bit oil in the bottom of a pan, add veggies and garlic. Stir around for a bit then add the sauce mix, cover then let steam for a bit. Stir now and then so it doesn't burn but leave covered for as long as you can so the potatoes get soft.

After about 20 minutes, add the meat and let simmer for about 10 minutes, thicken the sauce with corn starch! And there you have it! A 4.5 star recipe that tool less than an hour to come up with! I was so hungry that I almost forgot to take a picture of the final product! Thankfully there was some left over (:D)
I really enjoyed the "challenge" aspect of this meal. I used no recipe and had no planning ahead involved. On the spot creations! Yay! I encourage you all to get in the kitchen and try this challenge now and then!
Happy Eating!
Amy

1 comment:

  1. Hey, I nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award. :)

    http://thenailinator.blogspot.com/2013/03/the-versatile-blogger-award.html

    Keep cooking! and post recipes. ;)

    ReplyDelete