Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Pork with Broccoli

I decided tonight to try something I have never tried all the way from scratch. It is a play on "Beef with Broccoli" but since beef is so expensive over here, I used pork. I tried this before using a seasoning packet from the grocery but this time, I was determined to get it all on my own. (With the exception of Sara helping me cut the meat because we were short on time! She is wonderful!)
I had to wait for Sara to get back from a grocery run before really getting into everything with the cooking for this one so I started out with cutting up the garlic and making the sauce for this stuff. Like the last recipe I used a recipe for inspiration but ended up diverting away from it almost completely by the end of it. The sauce had oyster sauce, soy sauce, vinegar, and chicken broth in it. Super easy to mix. No catches. By the time I was done with this Sara was back with the meat, broccoli annnnnd...the onion...
Me and onions...we have a history. All I have ever done to an onion is cook it and love what it does to my food. With all of this love I have given it, you know what it does to repay me? Every time? Regardless of the circumstances? Makes me cry like a little girl! I have tried everything from chewing gum, cutting it under running water (big mistake by the way) to even trying the wearing goggles! It always gets me!
This time it waited till I was sauteing it to attack!
I decided not to put a picture of me crying on here for fear of scaring you guys away (just kidding :D). I sauteed the onions and garlic in olive oil (or sesame oil) then set it all aside. The next step was the meat. You brown the meat and sprinkle however much salt and ginger you desire to have on it, on to the meat while it is browning. Then about half way through you put about 2 tablespoons of soy sauce in it and brown the rest of the way.
Once that is done you add the onions, garlic, broccoli and the sauce then you cover it and let the heat steam the veggies into the wonderful tenderness we all know and love in beef with broccoli. Once that is done you add a little corn starch to thicken the sauce then it is yours to consume.

I had quite the group of critics tonight. One of the critics was this little cutie! My niece Lily <3
After dinner was done, all the consumers (how official sounding) gave it a 5 star! I think I am on a roll here y'all! 3 for 3!
Let me know if you want my recipe!
Happy eating!
Amy

No comments:

Post a Comment