Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Sweet and Sour Pork :)

Alright here we go! So last week I made my sister Rachael's favorite thing I make! Sweet and Sour Pork. This is originally a recipe from an old school Better Homes and Gardens cookbook from my mom but we have tweaked it to perfection.
Now here is how it happened for me this time.
After getting home from the office I was trying to decide what to make and so I got my "Dinner Spinner" app out and started looking. I looked for a good half hour and then just decided to go with something I knew!
I went to the grocery store and got what I needed.
When I got home I got right to work of cutting up my veggies. In my family, we like to "flower" our carrots.
Basically you cut 4 small groves in the carrot all around before chopping. After I got done with that I just set all the veggies aside and started on the meat. I am not a huge fan of cutting meat BUT, I got it done. I cut the pork tenderloin into cubes and set that aside. I then prepared the batter (Flour, cornstarch, and beef broth), the pans (Frying pan and larger pan for deep frying) and got all the other sauces (Soy sauce, vinegar, beef broth, and sugar) ready.
If you noticed, I really like having everything before hand. Makes things simple when you are starting to actually cook. Another thing I am not fond of is measuring stuff. I like to just estimate. I have cooked enough to know what a teaspoon of this and that look like :). I have not failed yet!
I started my oil for deep frying the meat and then began the dirty work! When you are cooking you have to be willing to get your hands dirty right? Well In this case you use your hands. (Wash them first please. We do not need any extra minerals :P)
Using my hands I mixed the batter onto the meat and then once the oil was ready I just put as much meat that could decently fit into the pan in the oil.

While this was going on, after getting the batter off my hands, in a frying pan, I put the oil, carrots, bell peppers and the garlic. I turned the fire on and start the cooking of the veggies. This smelled amazing by the way! I do not know about you but I love the smell of cooking bell peppers and of cooking garlic! Once they were tender I added the sauce into the pan.

Once I added the sauce I knew I was in business! It started to smell right! After it started simmering I added the meat and then I added the corn starch. It did not only smell amazing but it looked so great! I have done this recipe many times but it is still amazing when you get it right.

As we ate this wonderfully beautiful dish the "mmmm"'s and "yum"'s I was getting from the girls made me so happy!
I asked the girls to rate it for me 1 star being awful and 5 stars being amazing and without hesitation Sara said 5 and Rachael gave me a 20 out of 5 stars! :D How about that?!? I say this was a win!
This is a must try!
If you would like to try it tell me, I will give you the recipe and you can tell me how it turned out for you!
Happy eating!!!
Amy

1 comment:

  1. All I can say is that the original recipe is pretty great too. Glad you let your sisters enjoy your yummy dish.

    ReplyDelete