Monday, April 29, 2013

Crinkles Crinkles Crinkles!

Hello! I am back from the dead! Well I obviously wasn't really dead, just disappeared from the blog world for a little bit. Real life was a little bit overwhelming to manage both!
But I am back with quite a blog too! 
Before I get into the actual blog though, I will give a little update on my way of doing things on here. It was suggested to me by my wonderful sister that I should go ahead and include my recipes in my blogs so, drum roll please, from this moment forth, my recipes will be at the end of every blog! Ok, now to begin. 
It all started like this...A dear friend of mine had a problem...a very big problem...A crinkle problem! What that means is she was pretty much obsessed with the idea of eating crinkles. It got to the point where every time I said goodbye to her I would say, "Bye!" and she would reply, "Crinkles!" We were talking one day and I mentioned how I have a cooking blog and wanted to try something with baking that I have never done. You should have seen the look on her face when she heard those words come out of my mouth! Her face lit up and she ran up to me repeating over and over again, "Crinkles!". So thanks to this wonderfully obsessed chikka, Today I am blogging about my Crinkles Experience.  
Now crinkles are pretty simple to make, they just take a while to make. They only have a few ingredients but the thing that takes the time is they must chill for at least  hours before you bake them.  This is because if you want the "crinkle effect", which is that cracked look that they have, they must be cold when you put them in the oven.
I decided to try the FIRST time when I didn't have exactly what I needed...notice the word first...this thing took 2 tries! I mixed in all the ingredients but realized before that I had no baking chocolate. So, what did this brilliant chef in training do? I used a substitute! I substituted the chocolate with unsweetened cocoa and oil. Mistake...It does not do the trick. I mixed everything together and let it chill over night and the next day tried to bake it. I told my sister, "I am just going to make 1 batch and then try it and see if it is actually good then if it is, then I will make the rest." Long story short...I only made 1 batch. They tasted like dirt...or what I imagine dirt tasting like. So what did I do? The next day I went to the store and got the chocolate I needed, tried again and got it perfectly right! 
I was so excited because I remember how hard it was to make them during Christmas helping mom in the kitchen. I was plesantly surprised when I made them and it was super simple! I mixed everything together, let it chill, rolled them into balls, rolled the balls in powdered sugar, put them on the cookie sheet then BAM!
Perfect crinkles! :) They looked beautiful! I definitely suggest trying these! I got the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook (Here is a link to their super amazing online recipe section!). The recipe goes as follows:

4  Eggs
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar (the white kind :D)
4 ounces unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
1/2 cup cooking oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 teaspoons vanilla
2 cups all-purpose flour
Powdered sugar


directions
1.In a large bowl, combine eggs, granulated sugar, melted chocolate, oil, baking powder, and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed until combined, scraping side of bowl occasionally. Gradually beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Divide dough in half. Cover and chill for 2 to 24 hours or until dough is easy to handle.
2.Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a large cookie sheet; set aside. Place powdered sugar in a small bowl. Shape one portion of dough into 1/2-inch balls. Shape the remaining portion of dough into 1-inch balls. Roll balls in powdered sugar to coat generously. Place balls 1 inch apart on prepared cookie sheet.
3.Bake small cookies in the preheated oven about 8 minutes or until edges are set and tops are dry. Bake large cookies about 10 minutes or until edges are set and tops are dry. Do not overbake cookies. Transfer cookies to a wire rack; let cool. (Cookies will deflate slightly upon cooling.) Makes about about 72 small and 36 large cookies.


Happy eating! 
Amy




No comments:

Post a Comment